9-1-1 dispatcher sitting in front of several computer screens looking at an online map

BC RCMP is seeking highly motivated team players who possess strong communication and problem-solving abilities, and are motivated to make a vital contribution to the communities we serve.

To apply to become a 9-1-1 Police Dispatcher, you must:

1. Be a Canadian Citizen or have permanent resident status in Canada.

If you are applying to a 9-1-1 Police Dispatch Centre in Courtenay, Kelowna or Prince George, you must have:

  • Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status in Canada
  • Resided (been physically present) in Canada for the last 5 years

If you are applying to the 9-1-1 Police Dispatch Centre in Surrey, you must have:

  • Canadian citizenship
  • Resided (been physically present) in Canada for the last 10 years

2. Possess a Canadian secondary school (high school) diploma, or a satisfactory score on the General Competency Test: Level 1 (GCT 1-207) -

3. Be proficient in English. 

You must provide proof of your citizenship or permanent residence status and a copy of your Canadian secondary school diploma during the Application Process. To avoid delays in your application, we recommend you have your documents ready before you apply.

Note: 9-1-1 Police Dispatchers are designated as a safety-sensitive position and employees must abide by the RCMP Workplace Substance Use Policy which includes the use of cannabis.

If offered employment with the RCMP, you will need to attest that you will not use cannabis 28 days prior to the start date of employment and you will be compliant and follow the Substance Use Policy for safety-sensitive positions during the course of your employment as a 9-1-1 Police Dispatcher.

The following criteria are considered assets for the 9-1-1 Police Dispatcher position:

  • Experience providing services to the public.
  • Experience working in an environment that requires multitasking.

What do I do if my education was obtained outside of Canada?

Original proof of your education will be requested during the Application Process to verify that you meet the education requirement for the position.

If your education was obtained outside of Canada, you must get an equivalency assessment. Please contact the Canadian International Centre for International Credentials as soon as possible to initiate the evaluation process. 

Date modified: