BCHP Special Traffic Operations team up in South Okanagan
Osoyoos, Penticton, Keremeos, Oliver, BC Highway Patrol
2022-02-09 08:18 PST
BC Highway Patrol’s Special Traffic Operations is comprised of the Traffic Safety Unit/Police Dog Service (TSU-PDS) and the Integrated Impaired Driving Unit (IIDU). Between January 31 and February 3, 2022 the two units teamed up for a joint enforcement operation in the South Okanagan area covering Osoyoos, Oliver, Keremeos and Penticton.
Here is a sampling of the statistics amassed by the TSU-PDS:
- 55 Violation Tickets (for various offences);
- 3 excessive speed/stunting charges with vehicles impounded;
- 1 unlicenced driver – vehicle impounded;
- 2 fail to stop, one of which resulted in arrests and charges of dangerous driving and assault with a weapon for ramming a police vehicle;
- 2 persons arrested with 10 outstanding warrants between the pair;
- 8 mandatory roadside breath demands;
- Approximately $9,000 CND currency seized;
- 3 tickets for use of electronic device while driving; and
- 2 tickets for no insurance.
In addition, the IIDU amassed some impressive results of their own. Here is a sampling of the IIDU results:
- 10 driving suspensions for impairment, including one for 90 days;
- 2 prohibited drivers;
- 4 persons arrested on outstanding warrants;
- 1 person found driving while disqualified;
- 2 firearms seized (unlawful possession); and
- 2 Drug Recognition Evaluations.
The goal of these operations is to blitz the smaller communities which may not have a dedicated traffic unit at their detachment, says Sgt. Gregg Calibaba of the TSU-PDS.
The officers engaged in this operation are seasoned traffic members and experts in traffic enforcement and impaired driving investigations. The results they obtained speak to how BC Highway Patrol is making our highways safer together.
Members of the IIDU are expert impaired driving investigators, says Sgt. Brian Sampson of the IIDU.
Our goal is to identify and remove impaired drivers from our roads to reduce fatal collisions and keep our highways safer for everyone.
For more information about BC Highway Patrol, click on the link.
Cpl. Mike HalskovMedia Relations Officer
BC Highway Patrol
14200 Green Timbers Way, Surrey, BC V3T 6P3 - Mailstop # 804
- Date modified: