The Homicide of Tanner Krupa

2019-08-12 15:07 PDT

On August 20, 2017 just after 5:00 a.m., the Surrey RCMP received a report of an altercation in the 6900-block of 127A Street. Police arrived to find 19-year-old Tanner Krupa dead in a back alleyway and determined he was the victim of homicide.

View BC Crime Stoppers video - The homicide of Tanner Krupa

Tanner Krupa

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) continues to actively investigate Tanner’s murder and detectives have been diligently following the evidence trail, which has helped in piecing some of the details together.

During the course of the investigation, IHIT learned that a group of males was involved in the altercation that led to Tanner’s death. Investigators believe some of the males in the group did not participate in the assault but were bystanders with first-hand information about what happened to Tanner. This same group of males is believed to be associated to a white Toyota Corolla and a white Honda Civic that were captured on video surveillance. IHIT would like to speak with anyone that has information about any of these vehicles.


[No Audio]

White Toyota Corolla and a white Honda Civic crossing an intersection.


It has been a long year for the family of Tanner Krupa, who are eagerly seeking answers to what happened to their loved one, says Corporal Frank Jang of IHIT. We strongly urge those with knowledge of what happened to Tanner to come forward.

Statement from Tanner Krupa's Mother

This is a video of Tanner Krupa’s mother appealing to the public for information.


On Sunday August 20, 2017, our lives were forever changed by the news of Tanner's murder. We still remember vividly receiving the shocking news of his death. Tanner was only 19-years-old when he was taken from us.

Tanner spent most of his childhood playing hockey. He loved inline and ice hockey. As he got older he added body building to his passions. He spent a lot of time in the gym getting ready to compete professionally which he was a year away from.

When Tanner entered a room his contagious smile was what everyone noticed first and that smile could brighten anyone's day. His big heart which he wore on his sleeve was always prevalent. He was always the first person to help anyone out at any time. He was a very driven and passionate young man that poured his heart and soul into every step he took in life. He was also a very hard worker, he loved his job Directional Drilling and was going to University in the fall for Fitness.

Tanner did NOT have a criminal record and had never been in trouble. Never in a million years would we have thought he would pass away under such horrible circumstances. There was a complete disregard to public safety as he was murdered during the early morning hours in a quiet residential neighbourhood. It has been eight months since we lost him, yet we are still praying for answers and grieving without closure.

At this time, we would like to request for anyone who may have information about Tanner’s death to please contact the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team. We would be eternally grateful if you are able to provide the police with any information. Please bear in mind no information is irrelevant. We are making this appeal particularly to those who knew Tanner or his attackers and may have valuable information, which can help the police solve his murder.

There are very few people who come into the world for an extremely short period of time, yet manage to leave behind the greatest impact - Tanner can be described as one of these people. The void of his presence will always remain, but we hope this public statement will help bring him, and our family, the justice he deserves.

Thank you.

-The Family of Tanner Krupa

[end of transcript]


Anyone with information is asked to call the IHIT information line at 1-877-551- IHIT (4448), or by email at Should you wish to remain anonymous, please contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).


Follow Us:

Date modified: