September is here and that means back to school!
Fort St John
2022-09-02 08:49 PDT
File # PSA - Back to School
The Fort St John RCMP would like to remind the public that starting Tuesday, September 6, at 8am, school zones speed limits are back in effect and you will see an increase in driving and pedestrian traffic.
There are some simple and effective tips that can be implemented for the safety of everyone on our roads and in school zones.
- Orient your children, especially if they are new to school and if they are walking back and forth to and from school. Walk/bike ride/drive to your school over the long weekend, so that children know where to go and how to best get there on the first day of school,
- Talk to your children about road safety and making eye contact with drivers if they are crossing any roads and crosswalks,
- Establish a route that they can take so that you know where to look for them if they are late getting to school or back home,
- Plan ahead for drop offs and pick ups and try to do it as close to the school as possible, preferably on the same side of the street as the school to avoid crossing the roads especially with younger children.
- Know your route to school and try to stick to it for your safety and your parent’s peace of mind,
- Always try to cross the road at a crosswalk or intersection, don’t dart out from between parked vehicles,
- If you are riding a bike, wear your helmet, and follow the rules of the road,
- Always make eye contact with drivers and only proceed to cross roadways when you feel safe,
- Make sure you listen to the traffic, remove an earbud if you have to so that you can be more aware of your surroundings,
- Let your parents know where you are if you change your route or your schedule for any reason.
- Be prepared for increased foot and vehicle traffic,
- Slow down in school zones, you never know when a child will step out from between vehicles and run across the road,
- Do not pass busses with stop arms extended or stopped vehicles who are allowing students to cross the road,
- Leave your phone alone, especially when near or in a school zone.
Back to school is an exciting time for student and parents alike, said Constable Chad Neustaeter, Media Relations Officer for the Fort St John RCMP.
Following the rules of the road, being patient and slowing down will make back to school and school zones safer for everyone.
Cst. Chad NeustaeterMedia Relations Officer
Fort St John RCMP
10648 100th St, Fort St John, BC, V1J 3Z6
- Date modified: