Surrey RCMP warn of Marketplace robberies and porch thieves
2023-11-29 11:29 PST
File # 2023-192536
Surrey RCMP is advising the public of recent incidents of Facebook Marketplace robberies and thefts of packages from residential areas.
On November 21, 2023, Surrey RCMP frontline officers responded to a complaint of a robbery of an IPhone in the 15400-block of 102A Avenue. The complainant reported that they were meeting with a person to sell an IPhone, which they had advertised on Facebook Marketplace. When the complainant met with the buyer, two unknown young males, allegedly stole their phone and assaulted them with bear spray. The Surrey RCMP Robbery Unit led the investigation and on November 22, 2023, two youths were arrested for possession of a stolen property.
Surrey RCMP has received reports of these robberies as more people turn to Facebook Marketplace to buy and sell items. We encourage anyone who uses Facebook Marketplace to be mindful of these safety tips:
- Always check the profile of person who is offering to buy your product. Fake and temporary profiles are very common;
- Meet at a public place and during daytime;
- Check the product to see if it is real and not fake before exchanging money;
- Take a friend with you if you have a high value item that you are selling or buying;
- Do not send money to an unknown person especially when you are buying vehicle and looking for a rental property;
- Do not invite unknown people into your house to sell anything;
- If you have been a victim of a robbery or a fraud, call police and do not engage with the suspect yourself.
We have received reports of thefts of packages from residential areas which is common at this time of year as more people are shopping online during the holiday season. Help protect yourself from porch thieves having packages shipped to your work or to a friend who is home during the day to accept the delivery.
For more information on protecting your property, please visit the Protect Yourself section of our website.
For media inquiries contact:
Cpl. Sarbjit K. Sangha
Surrey RCMP Media Relations Unit
- Date modified: