Hiking and Running safety tips
2022-01-26 10:58 PST
File # N/A
With the nicer weather hopefully on the horizon, the Mission RCMP, in conjunction with those at our Mission Crime Prevention Office, would like to remind those out hiking and running to be seen and stay safe. Whether it's a morning walk, lunch hour walk or evening walk... be alert and be safe!
While there has been no files generated or information to suggest our local trails are not inherently safe, here are some tips that can increase your personal safety:
- There is safety in numbers, so try not to go alone.
- Plan your route and share that route with others (your family, your coworkers etc.)
- Avoid dark, overgrown, or unused paths/areas.
- If you have a cell phone, keep it with you however avoid being distracted by it (texting).
- Remove any distractions like headphones, so you can hear your surroundings.
- Carry a whistle and/or panic alarm
- For evening walks... carry a flashlight and wear reflective clothing.
Have fun and safe travels from the Mission RCMP!
- Date modified: