Coquitlam RCMP Motorcycle Safety
2023-06-28 14:09 PDT
As we are moving into warmer weather more people are getting their motorcycles onto the roads. Road Safety is everyone’s responsibility.
According to ICBC’s website; six out of ten crashes involving a motorcycle in British Columbia happen at an intersection, driver distraction, failing to yield the right of way, and improper turning are the top factors for vehicles that collide with motorcycles.
Be vigilant in searching for motorcycles when turning leftsaid Staff Sergeant Mccutcheon from Coquitlam Traffic.
Police would like to remind everyone on the road to adopt safe driving habits.
Motorcycle riders should incorporate the following safety measures into their routines:
- Always respect speed limits and where needed, adjust your speed for the conditions and when approaching road curves in order to negotiate them properly.
- Be sober and well rested.
- Ride within your ability and skill level.
- Wear approved helmets and follow the seating requirements.
- Wear high visibility and/or protective clothing.
All road users should incorporate the following safety tips into their routines:
- Scan intersections carefully and be vigilant in searching for motorcycles turning left.
- Stay alert to the road and avoid distractions.
- Allow at least four seconds of following distance behind a motorcycle to allow for a proper stopping distance.
- Be ready to yield as a motorcycle is often closer than it seems.
Let’s all enjoy the roads and the warmer weather safely!
Coquitlam RCMP Media RelationsOffice: (604) 945-1580
- Date modified: