Back-to-school reminders for drivers, parents and students
2022-08-24 08:58 PDT
View high-resolution photo: Four students with backpacks walking to school
The school season is upon us once again, and that means that students will be walking to and from school in our communities.
The Coquitlam RCMP would like to remind all motorists that police will be out actively enforcing school zone speed limits throughout the school year. Drivers must adhere to a speed of 30km/hr or less from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday on all school days.
Police urge drivers to be extra cautious and watch for children on the roadway, says Cst. Deanna Law, Media Relations Officer for the Coquitlam RCMP.
Playground zones are still in effect from dawn until dusk every day.
Common offences under the BC Motor Vehicle Act around schools and parks include:
- Speed in school zone or playground zone 1-20 km/h over - $196,
- Speed in school zone or playground zone 21-40 km/h over - $253,
- Fail to obey school guard or school patrol: $167,
- Fail to stop for School Bus: $368,
- Fail to yield to pedestrian at crosswalk: $167.
Despite having the right of way, please follow these safety tips:
- always see and be seen by motorists,
- ensure to look both ways before crossing the road,
- make eye contact with all drivers,
- wear high visibility colors,
- remove earbuds/headphones so you can hear your surroundings,
- keep your head up and stay off your phone when walking.
We would like to remind all parents to have a road safety talk with their children no matter what age they are. We have very respectful and considerate communities in the Tri-Cities, school and playground zones are always a priority.
Welcome back to all of our students and teachers in both Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam districts. We are looking forward to a safe and educational school year. If you observe unsafe driving behavior’s in playground or school zones, please contact the non-emergency line at 604-945-1550, or use the Coquitlam RCMP’s Online Crime Reporting where non-urgent crimes are reported easily.
Cst. Deanna Law
Media relations Officer
Cpl. Alexa HodginsMedia Relations Officer
coquitlam.rcmp-grc.gc.ca (English only)
2986 Guildford Way, Coquitlam, B.C V3B 7Y5
- Date modified: