Coquitlam RCMP remind drivers to slow down as the kids go back to school
2021-09-07 07:30 PDT
View high-resolution photo: School zone sign showing posted speed of 30 km/h
The RCMP wants to remind drivers that September 7, 2021, students return to schools with school buses on the roadways and school zone speed limits in effect.
Drivers must adhere to a speed of 30km/hr or less from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday on all school days.
Police urge drivers to be extra cautious and watch for children on the roadway, says Cst. Deanna Law, spokesperson for the Coquitlam RCMP.
The safety of our students and teachers is always a priority when school is back in session. We all have a role to play in keeping students safe in and around schools and buses.
The Coquitlam RCMP’s Traffic Services Section will be refocusing their efforts towards back to school speed enforcement. Officers will be conducting patrols and targeted enforcement around schools to help ensure the safety of students as they arrive and leave school property. Violation tickets for speed and other offences will be issued for anyone not following provincial traffic laws.
Tips for Students:
- Use designated crossing points and follow crossing signals where available,
- Remove headphones from music players and put down the cell phone when crossing the road,
- When crossing major roads, make sure that all lanes of traffic have stopped before walking across. Often drivers in the middle lanes don’t see pedestrians,
- Make eye contact with the drivers before stepping out onto crosswalks,
- Dress to be seen – daylight hours are decreasing, so wear brighter colours or reflective material whenever possible,
- Walk on the sidewalk, or if unavailable, walk on the side of the road facing the traffic,
- Walk on well-lit routes with less traffic,
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
Tips for Drivers:
- Plan ahead, leave earlier to allow yourself extra time through School Zones,
- Be alert to children near or around crosswalks and intersections,
- If a vehicle in a different lane slows or stops in front of you, slow down or stop and ensure that no one is on the crosswalk before proceeding,
- Always yield to pedestrians at intersections or designated crosswalks.
Playground zones are still in effect from dawn until dusk every day. If you observe unsafe driving behavior’s in playground or school zones, please contact the non-emergency line at 604-945-1550, or use the Coquitlam RCMP’s Online Crime Reporting where non-urgent crimes are reported easily. For more safety tips to ensure a safe start to the school year, visit ICBC.com.
Cst. Deanna Law
Media Relations Officer
Coquitlam RCMP Media RelationsOffice: (604) 945-1580
- Date modified: